The stated purpose of the Washington Finance Officers Association is to promote excellence in governmental finance through leadership, education and communication for the public benefit.
To further these objectives, Washington Finance Officers Association Members are enjoined to follow legal, moral, and professional standards of conduct in the fulfillment of professional responsibilities in compliance with the following:
- Demonstrate and be dedicated to the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal relationships to merit the respect and confidence of elected officials, other public officials, employees, and the public.
- Recognize and be accountable for their acts and their responsibilities as public officials; including sensitivity to the rights and needs of the public, striving for quality and accuracy in advice and counsel, and maintaining the letter and spirit of all Federal, State, and local governing laws, rules and regulations governing their action.
- Exercise prudence and integrity in the management of funds and assets in their custody and in all financial transactions; and demand such from others in their employ.
- Strive to maintain their individual competence; to enhance the competence of colleagues, peers and associates; and to encourage others seeking to enter their profession.
- Demonstrate professional integrity in the management and publication of information; present statements, reports, and other financial information fairly, in accordance with all applicable legal, regulatory, and generally accepted professional standards.
- Avoid the act or appearance of accepting favor or gain which would influence, compromise, or appear to influence or compromise, the conduct or integrity of their official duties.
- Strive to protect the public trust, to avoid the very appearance of impropriety, and to safeguard the integrity of the government they serve and of the standards they hold.