|Job Title:||Accountant/Senior Accountant|
|Salary:||$4,525 – $6,379 per month|
|Entity:||City of Cheney|
|Closing Date:||Open until filled, first review of applications: December 28, 2020|
The Accountant/Senior Accountant performs professional accounting work, including auditing, analyzing, and verifying fiscal records and reports, preparing financial and statistical reports, providing information to City staff regarding practices and procedures, and reconciling general ledger accounts. This position prepares year-end audit reports and schedules, receives, processes, reconciles, and issues monthly payroll, issues annual W-2s, reconciles and issues annual Affordable Care Act reporting, and performs related work as required.
The position may be filled at either the Accountant or Senior Accountant level depending on experience and qualifications.
• Receives, processes, reconciles and issues monthly payroll using a proprietary payroll system.
• Provides complex professional and technical assistance in the administration and implementation of the City’s financial, revenue, budget, auditing, and accounting programs, including financial report development, budget monitoring, forecasting, financial analysis, reimbursement billings, and grants accounting.
• Assists in monthly and year-end general ledger closing; prepares journal entries with proper documentation; balances general ledger accounts; ensures compliance and accuracy in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures and principles for government organizations utilizing a computer-based financial management system.
• Performs professional accounting work in accordance with a prescribed automated and manual accounting system, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
• Maintains the general ledger chart of accounts and assigns project codes as required for new grants and activities.
• Prepares monthly and annual payroll reports.
• Prepares salary and benefit budgets.
• Prepares, reports, and distributes annual W-2, benefits and ACA forms and reports.
• Provides professional and administrative assistance to the Finance Director. Researches, compiles, and prepares financial and administrative documents.
• Assists with various utility, receivables, and payables activities normally performed by Customer Service Representatives, Finance Operations Specialist or Accounts Payable Specialist, such as cashier, customer assistance, business licenses, etc.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
ACCOUNTANT: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, or a closely related field with two (2) years of accounting experience preferably in government accounting, preparing financial statements, preparing governmental payroll. Additional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis to a maximum of two (2) years, provided that at least 30 core semester units (or equivalent quarter units) in accounting have been obtained.
SENIOR ACCOUNTANT: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field with five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in accounting, preferably in a public agency or an equivalent combination of experience and education. CPA certification is highly desirable.