|Job Title:||Accounting Specialist|
|Salary:||$28.46 – $32.04/hour DOE|
|Entity:||City of Mercer Island|
|Closing Date:||Open until filled|
• Maintain accounting and administrative controls over the accounts payable function.
• Interact with vendors, contractors, auditors, and City representatives on accounts payable related issues; research, resolve and respond to customer inquiries regarding invoices, payments and accounts status.
• Review and process payment of invoices to vendors, reimbursements to employees and non-employees, and travel per-diem reimbursements in accordance with accounting principles and City policy.
• Code and enter invoices and purchase orders into accounts payable module of primary financial system.
• Responsible for weekly accounts payable check run; to include printing and mailing of checks, Electronic Fund Transfers, and submission of Positive Pay File to banking institution.
• Prepare, review, and issue 1099 forms and manage sales & use tax related issues.
• Establish and maintain new vendor records and routine reporting of new vendors to Finance Director.
• Participate in establishing uniform accounting policies and procedures related to the accounts payable and purchasing functions.
• Administration of City purchase card program, including monthly reconciliation of purchasing card transactions, issuance of new cardholder accounts, updating validated budget codes, and assist cardholders with system questions.
• Maintain various computerized spreadsheets and records of financial transactions.
• General accounting support to the Finance team.
• Annual submission of unclaimed property to Washington State Department of Revenue.
• Associates degree in accounting, business, or related field, and
• Two years of professional bookkeeping, accounts payable, accounting, or finance related experience, or
• Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential function of this position.
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and their application to a variety of accounting transactions.
• Public sector accounting experience preferred.
• Ability to handle multiple interruptions, prioritize work, and maintain organization of documents.
• Ability to work independently with minimal guidance, receive and respond well to direction, and ability to work collaboratively with others in a team environment.
• Good verbal communication skills in the English language as well as effective interpersonal and customer relation skills are essential in a team environment.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook. Demonstrated skill in 10-key calculator and data entry.
• Completion of a Nationwide and Washington State criminal history background check is required in order to determine any past conviction history of crimes against persons, sexual assault or exploitation, and sexual or physical abuse and must be able to pass a thorough background check as required by the Child/Adult Abuse Information Act.
• Completion of an I-9 Form documenting eligibility to work in the United States.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Work is performed in office settings. Work activities include combinations of sitting, standing and walking and the ability to lift 50 pounds. Must be able to work under stressful conditions at times. When in the office, work requires hand-eye coordination and fine manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and various office machinery. Ability to hear and speak clearly both in person and on the telephone.