|Job Title:||Chief Financial Officer|
|Salary:||$110,000 – $128,856|
|Entity:||Washington State Department of Social and Health Services|
We have a strong sense of pride around our mission to Transform Lives and it begins with YOU! A big part of that success is due to the commitment of our staff in overcoming challenges they face with perseverance and dedication to the people we serve within the Behavioral Health Administration at Department of Social and Health Services
This is an exciting opportunity for a meaningful career where you have the ability to demonstrate leadership, stretch and grow, stay busy, and enjoy the challenges of the work you do, and by making a difference in people’s lives. Western State Hospital (WSH) is one of the largest inpatient psychiatric hospitals west of the Mississippi, with more than 700 civil and forensic patients and nearly 2,800 employees. It is located in the city of Lakewood, Washington, just south of Tacoma.
Bring your budget and financial analysis expertise, legislative experience, and strategic leadership skills to this senior budget position where you will be responsible for developing and monitoring WSH’s $308 million dollar budget. You will provide leadership to a team of staff responsible for budget planning and development, expenditure and staffing analysis, year-end financial projections, and patient financial services.
The Chief Financial Officer at WSH is an ideal role for someone who is seeking a dynamic career opportunity in public policy or hospital operations. In this role, you will be the primary financial advisor to both the civil and forensic Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) at WSH. You will provide critical financial management services, analysis, consultation, and coordination to the full executive leadership team. You will join the leadership team, collaborate, and partner cross-functionally with leaders throughout the hospital to oversee the financial success of WSH. You will participate in strategic planning, hospital-wide decision-making, quality and management groups, and other Governing boards within the hospital.
Some of what you will do:
• Responsible for financial oversight and monitoring of WSH’s operating budget of approximately $308 million.
• Serve as the primary financial advisor to two (2) Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) and their executive leadership teams.
• Supervise, lead, and mentor six direct reports, responsible for the budget, accounting, staffing analysis, and patient financial services within the hospital.
• Make financial presentations to staff, committees, executive leadership, and other internal and external stakeholders.
• Design a long-term strategic budget plan for the hospital; anticipate and identify financial challenges; create solutions; make critical independent, strategic financial decisions; and develop financial contingency plans.
• Work closely with staff in the development of complex cost estimates related to hospital operations, including assessing the effects of current and proposed legislative and policy changes.
• Assist in human resource management activities, such as position control and data reporting; hiring and budget approvals; performance management; and labor union discussions.
Our ideal applicant is:
• A collaborative leader who has extensive experience with budgeting policies, processes, and systems.
• An ethical, data-driven, and critical thinker able to analyze and convey complex financial data to executive leadership for daily decision-making, as well as long-term strategic planning.
• An excellent communicator and facilitator with experience presenting to diverse audiences, engaging, and working with staff and stakeholders at all levels.
• A confident advisor and decision-maker who enjoys the challenge of a position that requires independent thought and judgment in areas where there is little guidance or precedence.
• Knowledgeable about state government budgeting principles and the legislative budget process.
• Proficient with MS Excel and using large data sets, including advanced formulas.
If this is your area of expertise and interest, come partner with us in doing this meaningful and critical work. We encourage you to apply!
• Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, accounting, finance, hospital management, or a closely related field. (Equivalent experience, in addition to the five years’ experience required below, will substitute year-for-year for the bachelor’s degree.)
• At least five years’ experience serving as a senior-level professional in financial management to include the following: accounting, budget, financial analysis, and/or forecasting.
The five years of the required experience, must include, at least:
• Three years in a position responsible for providing expert-level financial analysis, recommendations, and/or advice to management and/or other non-financial stakeholders.
Two years supervising professional staff.
Compensation and Benefits:
The annual salary range for the Chief Financial Officer is $110,000 to $128,856. In addition, the Department of Social and Health Services click here for more info benefits package and
• Relocation Assistance is negotiable
To be considered, please submit a resume and cover letter reflecting relevant experience and demonstrating what makes you a competitive applicant for this opportunity
If you have questions about this ad, job number 2021-07903, contact Rao at (360) 972-6206 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org