|Job Title:||City Accountant (2 Positions)|
|Salary:||6,039 – 6,888|
|Entity:||City of Centralia|
SUPERVISES (In the absence of the Finance Director)
Accounting Specialist: Maintains fiscal records involving accounts payable and receivable, utility billings, and other city functions. Receipts, balances, and prepares for deposit payments made by the public.
This class description reflects the general concept and intent of the classification and should not be construed as a detailed statement of all the work requirements that may be inherent in a position.
1. Prepares and maintains general journals and general ledger, posts daily receipts, edits and reconciles discrepancies and corrects irregularities in information received in accounting department and enters adjustments to prepare a balanced general ledger.
2. Prepares bank reconciliation and assures accounting records are in balance with actual cash, investments, accounts receivable, deposits, etc.
3. Prepares the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, including notes, statistics, schedules and supplemental data as required by the State Auditor’s Office; prepares other reports required by State or Federal agencies, including responding to auditor requests.
4. Develops, prepares and maintains a variety of financial management reports (daily, monthly and annual) and completes internal and external reports as required.
5. Assists with the preparation review and publication of the annual budget, as assigned.
6. Tracks and maintains records of the City’s fixed assets and grants for annual reporting, tracks City leases, as assigned.
7. Recommends policies and procedures to assure effective functioning of the accounting activities of the department and compliance with accounting standards and requirements; recommends and implements proper internal controls.
8. Maintains and recommends revisions to accounting system chart of accounts as necessary in accord with State Auditor’s manual; assigns account changes as needed.
9. Provides accounting guidance to other departments, regarding budget expenditures and revenues, appropriate BARS account coding, rate increases, grant tracking, etc.
10. Effectively utilizes the City’s financial system to compile, analyze and complete reports, as requested.
11. Provides backup to the accounts payable process as required.
12. Provides backup for the Accounting Specialist when required.
13. Seizure accounting including state remit/reporting and JNET distribution.
14. Advanced travel accounting.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the Washington State Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting Systems (BARS). Knowledge of city, state and federal laws and procedures governing public sector accounting and reporting requirements. Knowledge of governmental accounting, auditing and finance.
2. Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
3. Proficient computer skills with thorough knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing programs and basic knowledge of network systems.
4. Knowledge of, and ability to interpret, apply and explain rules, policies, laws, and regulations applicable to areas of assignment.
5. Ability to maintain complex financial records and develop accounting systems to meet department and city needs.
6. Ability to plan, organize, and set work priorities and meet schedules and timelines with minimum supervision.
7. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city staff, subordinates, other agencies, and the general public.
8. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
9. Ability to analyze and interpret financial data in order to coordinate the preparation of financial records and reports.
B. A. degree in accounting or business administration and three years of governmental accounting experience, or any combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
Employment is conditional on a satisfactory credit history as of the date of hire.
Current WA State Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.
To apply please submit a City of Centralia employment application which can be found at https://www.cityofcentralia.com/Jobs.aspx to: Human Resources Office, PO Box 609/118 W Maple, Centralia, WA 98531 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, January 26, 2023 by 5:00 pm. (Postmarks NOT accepted). E-mail applications must be signed and mailed after electronic filing.