|Job Title:||Payroll Accountant|
|Salary:||$ 5,543 – $6,745 per month|
|Entity:||City of Walla Walla|
|Closing Date:||Open Until Filled|
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values:
Service – Integrity – Collaboration – Equity – Leadership – Community
2. Plans, coordinates, and monitors the City’s payroll processing functions; assigns and reviews, as well as performs, the processing of employee and retiree pay benefits; oversees the preparation and transmittal of payroll related payments and reports including but not limited to federal and state quarterly reports; maintains a working knowledge of federal and state statutes relating to payroll, retirement, and other areas applicable to the payroll function and makes recommendations to supervisor on the impacts of such items; reconciles payroll related accounts within the City’s financial ledgers.
3. Maintains payroll records and employee information within the City’s payroll systems; conducts internal audits to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the system; analyzes, develops, and recommends improvements to the payroll system to improve efficiency and accuracy; troubleshoots problems and follows up on their resolution.
4. Ensure proper pay rates and individual payroll changes are entered in the payroll system accurately. Prepare, process, and calculate a variety of payroll actions including wage garnishments, benefit withholdings, overtime calculations and worker’s compensation leave buy back.
5. Audit timesheets and other payroll records ensuring compliance with City policies, respective collective bargaining agreements and legal requirements; complete employee wage verifications.
6. Conducts comparisons of actual costs to the budget and assists the Accounting Manager and Director of Finance in monitoring budget control with special attention directed toward payroll performance.
7. Partner with Human Resources to provide auditing support, salary and benefit rate calculations and adjustments; implement salary schedules and payroll changes relevant to bargaining agreements.
8. Develop and oversee the maintenance of the records management system for all payroll records in compliance with state record retention requirements.
9. Performs reconciliation of various general ledger accounts and sub-ledgers, periodic budget to actual variance analysis and preparation of documentation (and analysis) for the City’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report.
10. Perform year-end, Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) entries and assists with the preparation and review of the city’s report.
11. Demonstrate tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment within general policy and procedural guidelines.
12. Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships.
13. Handle confidential and sensitive matters relating to all aspects of payroll functions.
14. Apply critical thinking skills; identify opportunities for improvement; streamline processes for efficient work practices.
15. May be called upon to assist and participate in various annual and special projects as required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Demonstrate punctual, regular, and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects, and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions, and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field, and two (2) years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Municipal experience preferred. Applicants must be able to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by time of hire.
Previous accounting experience involving the processing of payroll. Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications are available on the Human Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: https://wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check and consumer report. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue
Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to email@example.com or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled applicants if requested. Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS: To obtain a copy of the full job description and class specification for this position, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 509.527.4475.