|Job Title:||Payroll / Accounting Tech|
|Salary:||42,846 – 46,823 Annual|
|Entity:||Bellingham Whatcom County Housing Authority|
Performs accounting support functions contributing to the collection, maintenance, and reporting of timely and accurate financial and accounting information. This position specializes in payroll, grant disbursements, and fixed assets and equipment inventory.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Prepares and maintains payroll for all staff. This includes the coordination, review and filing of payroll documents.
2. Prepares payroll-related reports, including the preparation and submission of monthly and quarterly reports.
3. Assists with salary budget preparation and on-going administration.
4. Perform monthly bank statement reconciliations for numerous Housing Authority accounts.
5. Provides tenant and landlord customer service, including providing accounting-related information, responding to questions, and tenant/landlord reporting for government agencies. Maintain tenant accounting system, including generating statements, preparing journal vouchers for tenant counts receivable, processing move-outs, maintaining tenant records and processing tenant payments.
6. Oversee, review, and assist employees with their benefits package and enrollment.
Additional Accounting functions as assigned, may include:
1. Coordinates and maintains fixed asset and equipment inventory.
2. Coordinates and observes physical inventory, adds new items to inventory database, and records or transfers inventory assets, as appropriate.
3. Maintains A/R ledgers for Section 8 Portability programs, damage claims and payments for Section 8 tenants, grant fund requisitions for Shelter Plus Care, and other miscellaneous A/R for special programs. Tenant accounting for 101-unit project.
4. Processes accounts payable for assigned programs (Section 8 portability, Shelter Plus Care, FSS, and other programs).
5. Prepares and coordinates paperwork for eviction process.
6. Performs appropriate reconciliation and closing of related journal entries.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Acts as a back up in maintaining daily cash management, including bank deposits, maintaining petty cash fund, and reporting.
2. Performs other accounting-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of payroll functions and COBRA certification.
• Ability to interpret and comply with established accounting policies and procedures.
• Ability to solve routine technical accounting problems.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the organization.
• Ability to perform routine work procedures.
• Ability to type 40 w.p.m.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with sensitive information.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Maintain dependable and punctual attendance.
Education and Experience
• Associates Degree with emphasis in general business curriculum, basic accounting, and bookkeeping.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field preferred.
• Minimum of two years of full charge bookkeeping including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger and quarterly reports.
• Or, a combination of education and experience that meets the required equivalent qualifications for this position.