|Job Title:||Payroll and Benefits Administrator|
|Salary:||$71,342 to $86,717 DOE|
|Entity:||City of Burien – Burien, WA|
|Closing Date:||Open Until Filled – First review 05/17/2021|
First review of applications is May 17, 2021. However, the position is open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
General Position Summary
The incumbent will perform a wide variety of increasingly responsible professional level financial and accounting activities, primarily focused on payroll and benefits administration.
• Supports and models the identified vision, values and behaviors of the organization.
• Maintains and updates the computerized payroll system:
– Configures payroll software to meet City requirements, such as creating new pay codes, deductions, and
accruals, updating data tables, setting deduction limits.
– Develops specifications for automated system features, exercising system expertise and knowledge; verifies
functionality of applications, forms, processes, and reports; researches, tests, and evaluates payroll system errors,
upgrades, and implementations.
• Processes semi-monthly payroll which includes but is not limited to inputting timesheets; generating and reconciling monthly payroll reports; preparing and submitting withholding payments and benefit payments; preparing and submitting quarterly and annual tax reports, including W-2’s, and generating paychecks.
• Coordinates benefit enrollments, terminations, and changes with Human Resources; administers changes with third-party providers and in the City’s software system.
• Reviews billings, payroll or other transactions for completeness and compliance with established policies and procedures, and proper authorization; resolves problems before preparing for data entry.
• Stays current on new payroll guidelines and implements new requirements by the prescribed deadline.
• Archives payroll records in accordance with the Washington State Archives Record Retention Schedule.
• Provides information and assistance to employees, as authorized; responds to requests for information, and attempts to resolve them by researching files and records within the scope of authority; refers matters requiring policy interpretation to Human Resources for resolution.
• Generates a variety of special and recurring reports which compile hours worked, overtime, benefits, accruals, and leave tracking; researches and analyzes data for special reports, surveys, and budgeting process; traces transactions to locate and resolve discrepancies.
• Performs financial planning and analysis projects.
• Assists in preparation of the Annual Financial Report and Biennial Budget, including preparation of the salary and benefit schedules.
• Conducts research and analysis.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Serves as backup for the Accountant position.
• Assists with review and posting of cash receipts.
• Serves on and participates in various employee committees.
Education and/or Experience
A minimum of three years of increasingly responsible experience in full-cycle payroll administration at a professional level affording a familiarity with complex integrated payroll/accounting systems, or a combination of experience and training that provides the candidate with the knowledge and skills to perform the job.
A bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting or related field is preferred.
Certification as a Payroll Professional (CPP) from the American Payroll Association is preferred.