|Job Title:||Payroll Assistant|
|Salary:||$4,708 – $5,190 per month DOE|
|Entity:||City of Monroe|
|Closing Date:||Open until filled|
The City of Monroe is currently recruiting for a Payroll Assistant. This position is responsible for inputting and processing of the City payroll systems for all employees. This position will also be responsible for courteously and efficiently interaction with walk-in customers and telephone callers. Position is open until filled. First review of applications June 21, 2020. This is a Teamsters Local 763 position. For more information and to apply, please visit the City’s website at www.monroewa.gov/jobs
Benefits for this position include, education and foreign language incentives, 93% employer paid medical, 100% employer paid dental and vision. PERS eligible position, deferred compensation match, $50,00 life insurance, vacation and sick leave accruals and paid holidays.
• Accurate reporting of all payroll taxes.
• Review and audit time sheets for accuracy.
• Assist in resolving inquiries from employees arising from interpretations of payroll regulations.
• Update new and existing employee’s information within the payroll system.
• Prepare monthly sick leave, compensatory time and vacation reports.
• Stuff, sort and distribute payroll checks to various departments.
• Process quarterly reports (i.e., 941, L&I workers’ comp, employment security)
• Review payroll edits for accuracy, prepare monthly retirement transmittals, employee deductions and pay rates as required.
• File payroll and various reports each payday.
• Prepare manual payroll, including mid-month payroll, and comp time buy-outs as needed.
• Calculate and process lost and manual payroll and claim checks. Prepare duplicate checks.
• Report monthly distributions to PERS and LEOFF retirement contributions.
• Process various employee deductions preparing vouchers for payment.
• Provide accurate annual reports and other necessary year-end reports in a timely manner.
• Process direct deposits in accordance with clearing house requirements.
• Answer and direct incoming phone calls for all city departments (finance, engineering, community development, public works, parks, and administration). May direct phone calls to police and fire departments. Maintain list of other governmental agencies and business’ in Monroe for directing phone calls.
• Ensure City Hall phones are transferred to answering service after hours. Review phone messages daily and direct to the appropriate department.
• Serve as back up to front counter personnel (greet walk-in customers to City Hall, respond to their questions or direct them to the proper individual and/or department). Maintain a high level of customer service and professionalism with each customer.
• Serve as back up cashier by utilizing City’s software system. Balance daily receipts and correct errors by re-entry as necessary. Maintain security over cash and checks at all times.
• Assist customers with routine questions or problems regarding utility accounts. Accept information from new utility account customers or changes in service for existing utility accounts.
• Balance cash drawer daily
• Open and close City Hall.
• May provide back-up and/or training to other Finance employees.
• Six to nine years experience in accounting and payroll
desired or an equivalent combination of related education and
• Ability to communicate in Spanish a plus
ABOUT THE CITY OF MONROE
Monroe is a lively and active community of 20,000 residents located on the Skykomish River at the foothills of the Cascade Mountains just 30 minutes northeast of Seattle and 15 minutes southeast of Everett and the I-5 corridor. The city is shifting from a small rural community into a diverse, inclusive, and thriving city of regional significance. Residents benefit from quality schools, top-notch parks, and quick access to urban amenities and outdoor activities. Monroe has a vibrant Hispanic community, historic business district, and a strong regional retail and commercial industry serving more than 45,000 people in southeast Snohomish County. The City is home to institutions and events of statewide importance including the Evergreen State Fairgrounds and Evergreen Speedway, Lake Tye Triathlon, and Nautique WWA Wakeboard National Championships. If you are looking for an opportunity to make a difference in a diverse, inclusive community surrounded by the best the Pacific Northwest has to offer, Monroe is for you!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.