The mission of the WFOA Education Committee is to provide Washington public entities and their staff with professional training in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting, and other relevant fields. This professional training provides budget and finance professionals the opportunity to meet face-to-face, exchange ideas with others, and enhance their knowledge which will assist them in promoting the professional management of government financial resources. The professional educational opportunities also enable our members to maintain their status as Professional Finance Officers, CPAs, and/or other similar professional designations. If you would like to join the Education Committee, please contact Deb Booher at mailto:email@example.com or (360) 394-9720. You may also direct questions or suggestions regarding the Non-Conference Education program to Deb using the contact information above.
Upcoming 2019 Educational Opportunities
Federal Award Requirements Class (Includes Grants)
More to come Fall 2019 – Locations to be determined
State Auditor Budgeting, Accounting, Reporting Systems (BARS)/Cash Ba
September 17 – Yakima (Annual Pre-Conference)
October 9 – Tumwater
Free Webinar Classes Available
WFOA has partnered with California Society of Municipal Finance Officers’ Association (CSMFO) to participate in educational webinars. These will be available to WFOA members at no cost, however there will not be CPE credits available. We will evaluate the program after this inaugural year for future participation. Please provide any feedback you may have to help determine future direction to Deb Booher . Please clink on the links below to register for the free webinar.
Accounting and Reporting for Debt – Webinar
Wednesday April 3, 2019 – 9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
A government’s reporting and disclosure about its debt is one of the most scrutinized elements of its financial reporting. Learn what you need to know to fulfill this obligation.
GFOA is coming to Portland
GFOA will be offering classes in Portland, Oregon June 10 – June 12. Visit GFOA.org to access.
- Accounting for Capital Assets – June 10
- Budgeting Best Practices: Personnel Budgeting – June 10
- Treasury Management Best Practices – June 10
- Budgeting Best Practices: Budget Monitoring – June 11
- Enterprise Fund Accounting – June 11
- Best Practices and strategies for Public Investing – June 11-12
- Advanced Governmental Accounting – June 12-14
Completed 2019 Classes
Federal Award Requirements Class (Includes Grants)
January 28 – Issaquah, WA
January 29 – Port Orchard, WA
State Auditor Budgeting, Accounting, Reporting Systems (BARS)/Cash Basis
February 22 – Spokane
February 27 – Burlington
March 5 – Longview
March 27 – Tri-Cities
Looking for On Demand Library or Webinars? – Click Here
On Demand Library
The following classes are prerecorded at My Place to Learn. Please click the link to read the course descriptions or to register!
Developing Job Descriptions and Position Standards
A Checklist for Successful Performance Appraisals and Discussion
Calming an Unhappy Customer – For Frontline Employees
Developing Individual Work Improvement Plans
Leading and Motivating
For more information, please visit WFOA-MyPlaceToLearn Online Training
Department of Revenue’s Governmental Taxation
Inslee Best’s Collecting Utility Service Billings
Washington State Auditor’s Office
April 2, 2014 – BARS (Revenue only)
April 9, 2014 – BARS (Expenditures only)
May 6, 2014 – SAO Reporting
January 26, 2016 – GASB 68 (Presented by the Washington State Auditor’s Office) (Click HERE to access GASB 68 Powerpoint Slides)
February 8, 2017 – GASB 68 – Year 2 (Presented by the Washington State Auditor’s Office) (Click HERE to access GASB 68 Year 2 Slides)
SEC’s Municipalities Continuing Disclosure Cooperation (MCDC) Initiative Update and Q&A
Public Financial Management Inc.’s, Public Debt Webinars
Due to WFOA using a third-party vendor for all webinars:
- It is required all registrations are paid with a credit card only
- WFOA credits or vouchers cannot be used on any webinar registrations.
- Certificates of Participation are only provided to those who are paid registrations of LIVE webinars and have completed all polling questions
- If a entity group would like to participate using a conference room and one computer logged into the webinar; then such said group would need to contact the Education Co-Chair at a minimum of 10 business days prior to event and will agree to have someone coordinate the group and facilitate CPE sheets in order to provide all paid participants Certificates of Participation.
- No Certificates of Participation will be provided for any RECORDED webinars.
- Upon successful registration for the recorded webinars, the recording playback will start immediately. Please be prepared to view the recording in it’s entirety at the time of registration.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Registration Cancellation Policy
Cancellations are granted at no charge and with a full refund up to ten (10) calendar days prior to the date of training. Cancellation refunds during the ten calendar days prior to the date of training (including the day of class) may be considered in unforeseen circumstances by the Education Non-Conference Co-Chair. Substitution of an attendee is permitted for the training in lieu of the registered attendee. Registration fees cannot be applied to future classes